Rohingya leader Mohib Ullah Killing: Caught between fear and distrust

The Lombashia Rohingya Camp in Ukhia seemed normal. People were walking around the camp. The grocery stores are crowded with shoppers. Children playing in the streets. Teenagers are gossiping and playing videos on their smartphones.

However, beneath the normal life was a deep suspicion and fear. To sense this numbness it is enough to visit the camp, which is still reeling in shock from the death of Rohingya leader Mohib Ullah.

Everybody would walk with their heads down whenever inquired about what happened or who could be responsible. They tried to speak to about 50 people but the majority of them refused to discuss anything about it.

They could, however, remember how amazing an instructor Mohib was, and the things that campers suffered because of the tragedy.

"If Mohib was spared, the Rohingyas would have been able to return to their motherland one day," said a man of 50 years old in the process of preparing for Juma prayers.

He asked not to reveal his identity as "spies of the criminals were everywhere."

Mohib Ullah, 48-year-old chairman of the Arakan Rohingya Society for Peace and Human Rights was shot dead by gunmen at his office on Wednesday night.

The brother of Habib Ullah filed a criminal case for a case Ukhia Police Station against 20-30 unidentified persons on Thursday evening the police station said. Ahmed Sanjur Morshed, officer-in-charge of the station.

Yesterday today, The Armed Police Battalion detained Md Selim, alias Lomba Selim, 27-year-old Rohingya man suspected of being involved in the murder.

"It is an irreparable loss for the entire community," said Syed Alam, a neighbour of Mohib. He was speaking to the correspondents at the murdered Rohingya chief's office, surrounded by the members of Armed Police Battalion.

He stated that 10-12 were in the vicinity as the killers killed Mohib. However, everyone fled to hide in fear.

"The criminals, though few in number, are everywhere," he stated without mentioning any names. "It is distrust. We cannot trust anyone anymore. If Mohib's life is not secure, then whose life is?"

Mohib has been threatened with death numerous times, but the activist refused to give up and continued to fight to get the return of refugees. "Now all our efforts to return to Burma seem pointless."

A top official from law enforcement agencies who did not wish to be identified spoke of how Rohingyas are slack regarding the crime. "No one trusts anyone. Everyone keeps mum. The killers left the place when there were hundreds of people in the area, but everyone was silent."

Mohib was the oldest of the four brothers. He dedicated his whole life to people in the Rohingya community.

"He was our only ray of hope," said Ahmed Ullah, younger brother of Mohib.

"With his killing, our hopes and aspirations also got killed. He never harmed anyone -- then why was he killed?"

He said that at the very twelve people were in the area when Mohib was slain. If they had come forward, his brother may have been saved.

Mohib was among the most well-known Rohingya voices. He arrived in Bangladesh in 2017, when around 700,000 Rohingyas left Myanmar due to a violent arrest of the Myanmar army.

The public was able to recognize him when a group headed by him organized an enormous camp rally in the year 2019.

In the following year He was then later invited to Geneva to speak to his position to the UN Human Rights Council and to the White House, where he met with then President Trump in the context of a conference with victims of religious persecution.


Popular posts from this blog

Solar Energy: Do Your Part To Help The Planet